10 Best Fat-Burning Exercises for Men in their 40’s
Doing regular fat-burning exercises for men is crucial when getting shredded is your goal. The right exercises help you gain lean mass in all the right places to achieve the muscular physique you desire. Don’t sell yourself short just because you’re over 40. Try some of the 10 best fat-burning exercises for men in their 40s and watch excess fat melt away just in time for summer.
Best Fat-Burning Exercises for Men
#1 Rope Jumping
Believe it or not, jumping rope is one of the highest calorie-burning workouts you’ll find. A 185-pound person expends almost 450 calories and fat in just 30 minutes of rope jumping. If you weigh more than 185 pounds, you’ll likely burn additional calories. Switch up your rope jumping routine by:
1. Jump with both feet at the same time.
2. Jump with one leg at time.
3. Sprint jump as fast as you can.
4. Use alternating scissor kicks while jumping.
5. Jump using high knees/tuck jumps.
For the best way to lose weight for men, circuit train by alternating 1-2 minutes of rope jumping with strength training or additional fat-burning exercises.
#2 Medicine Ball Squat Throws
When you’re tight on time, add medicine ball squat throws to your regular workout routine. You’ll get shredded fast as you work your legs, glutes, abs, shoulders, and arms all in one exercise. To complete medicine ball squat throws:
1. Use a medicine ball that feels heavy enough the make the exercise challenging.
2. Hold the medicine ball at your chest and squat down as far as you can until your thighs are about parallel with the floor.
3. Lift your body up with your legs and throw the medicine ball above your head or at a wall at the height of your squat.
4. Catch the ball and immediately squat back down.
5. Repeat the exercise for 45-60 seconds.
Complete 3-5 sets of medicine balls squat throws during a circuit training routine.
#3 Battle Rope Exercises
When done properly, battle rope exercises are some of the best fat-burning workouts for men in their 40s. You’ll work up a sweat in no time and train your legs, glutes, abs, shoulders, and arms. If you have access to battle ropes at your gym, use those. If you’re not a gym member, no problem! Purchase weighted battle ropes for use in a home gym, your garage, or outdoors.
Simply attach the end of the battle ropes to a sturdy base or battle rope anchor kit. You can also use bed sheets if you don’t have weighted ropes. To complete battle rope exercises:
1. Bend your knees slightly and rapidly lift and lower the ropes up and down, alternating your arms, as fast as you can.
2. Lift and lower the ropes simultaneously with both arms during your next set.
3. Try completing large arm circles with the ropes.
4. Rapidly swing the ropes from one hip to the other hip in a side-to-side motion to shred excess belly fat
Complete 3-5 sets of 45-60 seconds of battle rope exercises.
The best part about adding burpees to regular fat-burning workouts is you can do this exercise from the comfort of home without any equipment. To complete burpees, simply:
1. Jump up as high as you can.
2. Bring your hands down to your feet.
3. Quickly pop your feet back behind you until you’re in a plank or extended pushups position.
4. Do a push-up.
5. Jump back up high in the air and repeat continuously.
Do burpees for 45-60 seconds and complete 3-5 sets of the exercise during at-home, fat-burning circuit training routines.
#5 Plank Rows
Plank rows build muscle and burn fat in all the right places. You’ll work your abs, back, shoulders, arms, and even your legs! To complete plank rows, simply:
1. Find two dumbbell weights.
2. Get into a plank position with the weights beneath your hands.
3. Stay in plank position and complete a row by lifting one weight up toward your shoulder and lower it back down.
4. Do the same thing with your opposite arm and repeat continuously for 45-60 seconds.
Complete 3-5 sets of plank rows.
#6 Squat Jumps
Squat jumps really get your blood pumping and you’ll boost muscle definition in your legs, butt, abs, and even your arms! To complete squat jumps, simply:
1. Get into a squat position with your feet slightly wider than shoulder width apart.
2. Squat down as low as you can until your thighs are about parallel with the floor.
3. Lift your body back up, jump as high as you can at the height of your squat, and repeat the exercise continuously.
4. Alternate between narrow-stance squat jumps and wide-stance squat jumps if you’d like.
5. Hold dumbbells weights while jump squatting when you’re ready for more of a challenge.
Repeat squat jumps continuously for 45-60 seconds, and complete 3-5 sets of the exercise.
#7 HIIT Stair Climbing
Use a stair climber machine or stairs at a park or in your home for a fat-burning workout that yields rapid results. You can even use a wooden box (or any sturdy box you have at home) and step up and down from it. A 185-pound person burns about 300 calories in 30 minutes of stair climbing, depending on the workout intensity. To maximize fat-burning results while stair climbing, try high-intensity interval training (HIIT) by:
1. Do a 5-minute warm up.
2. Climb at a high-intensity for 1 minute.
3. Descend or climb at a lower intensity for 1 minute.
4. Alternate between high-intensity and lower-intensity bouts for 20-30 minutes.
5. Cool down for 5 minutes.
You can try HIIT with any cardiovascular exercise, such as running, walking uphill, rowing, cycling, or using an elliptical machine.
#8 Deadlift to Overhead Press
Deadlifts make an excellent total body fat-burning workout because the exercise works numerous major muscle groups. Your back, leg, butt, ab, arm, and shoulder muscles will all burn as the exercise engages your lower and upper body to the max. To complete a deadlift to overhead press, simply:
1. Grab a barbell or two dumbbell weights.
2. Stand up with your feet slightly wider than shoulder width apart.
3. Keep your back as straight as you can, bend at your waist, and lower your weight until it almost touches the ground.
4. Use your legs, butt, and back to lift your body back up into a standing position.
5. Immediately do a shoulder press by lifting the weight above your head as high as you can.
6. Repeat deadlift to overhead presses for 45-60 seconds.
Complete 3-5 sets of the exercise.
#9 Plank Jacks
Plank jacks are another excellent fat-burning workout for men over 40, as the exercise works your core arms, shoulders, and legs. To complete plank jacks, simply:
1. Get into a plank position.
2. Stay in plank position and slowly spread your feet apart and back together continuously for 45-60 seconds.
3. Keep your legs, arms, and back straight during the entire exercise.
Repeat 3-5 sets of plank jacks for best results.
#10 Weighted Russian Twists
You’ll need a medicine ball or a weight to complete weighted Russian twists. If you don’t have a ball or weight, you can still do the exercise using just arm motions. To complete weighted Russian twists and work toward a six-pack:
1. Sit down on the floor and create a V-shape with your upper and lower body.
2. Bend your knees and keep your feet slightly off the floor.
3. Grab your medicine ball and twist it from side to side, from one hip to the other continuously, for 45-60 seconds.
For best results, complete 3-5 sets of weighted Russian twists.
Additional Ways to Get Shredded Fast, the best way to lose weight for men
In addition to completing daily fat-burning exercises for men over 40, the best way to lose weight for men, make specific healthy lifestyle changes to get and keep excess weight off just in time for summer. Try the following tips and tricks:
1. Sleep at least 7-9 hours each night.
2. Eat a diet rich in vegetables, legumes, nuts, seeds, and lean proteins. Try homemade protein shakes as meal replacements.
3. Exercise at least 30 minutes most days of the week.
4. Stay active all throughout the day, not just during workouts.
5. Limit or avoid alcohol.
6. Slightly reduce calories by about 500 per day. Track your calorie intake using MyFitnessPal.
7. Eliminate sugary drinks, sweets, refined grains (white bread), and fried foods.
8. Drink at least 16 cups of water daily, including 2 cups of water before meals.
9. Reduce stress.
10. Sign up for the Fitter Healthier Dad NO Gym program.
The Fitter Healthier Dad program is designed for busy dads over 40 seeking weight and fat loss, improved energy, and better muscle definition without a gym membership or sacrificing work and family time.
When you register for the program you’ll receive simple fat loss meal plans, 30-minute fat-burning workouts, and the motivational support needed to get and keep excess weight off for good the best way to lose weight for men. To get started, sign up for the Fitter Heathier Dad FREE 4-step fat-burning plan today!